Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Changes Part 2

If you read my post Changes back in September, you know there is some big news I was waiting to share! WELL, Saturday I received the email I've been waiting for! 

I was out with my sister at the mall when I looked down at my phone and saw that I had a new email. After seeing the title I knew I didn't want to open it just yet. I wanted to wait until I got home and was by myself so that I could focus on it. 

When I lost my job (and also graduated college) back in August I really started to think about what was next for me. Even though losing my job was really hard, God was teaching me a lot through it. One of those things being I needed to focus on my next step for Him. Ever since I came back from Africa last year I knew I wanted to do more mission work. And I knew I wanted to do something more long term, because that's what I felt God leading me towards. So, as I was thinking about my next steps God suddenly put YWAM on my heart. I looked it up and got as much info as I could. I soon found a link to a "Children at Risk Discipleship Training School" that I really liked. So, after thinking it over for a couple days I decided to apply. 

As I said I got an email Saturday that confirmed that I was accepted! YAY! 

Next September is when I go! It is located in Madison, WI (which just happens to be very close to William and his family!). This is a 6 month program (3 months in Madison, 2 months overseas, and holiday breaks). 

Here's the breakdown: 

"The Children at Risk Discipleship Training School will focus on the needs of children around the world and the issues that put them at risk — sex trafficking, poverty, AIDS, abuse, child soldiers, and broken families. We will also focus on the heart of God who promises to be a “Father to the fatherless, who sets the lonely in families.” (Psalm 68:5,6)

For three months, we will examine strategies to help these kids and pursue ways to assist poor communities around the world. And then we will go, spending two months overseas. Past Children at Risk DTSes have gone to India,Thailand, Myanmar, Uganda and Kenya. On outreach, we will work with street kids, AIDS orphans, slum communities, sex slaves and refugees, as well as reach out to people of all ages through evangelism."


For more info visit these websites: 







2 comments:

Annie said...

Wow...you'll definitely have to keep us updated on this, Sharon! Sounds like such a neat opportunity!

Joanna @ Asking with Faith said...

AHHHH!! So excited for you!! That sounds awesome and SO interesting!!